Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Songs in the Night

I feel like I've written this one already. If I have, I apologize. It's just something that has been on my mind before, and was last night as well. 
I made the mistake of drinking coffee last night (again) at 8:00. Needless to say, I was up late- I got some writing done though! 
It was hot in the house, so we raised the windows. Jason was asleep pretty soon after his head hit the pillow, but as I lay there after 1am, I began to hear birds singing outside the window. It's common to hear owls around our neighborhood, but one would think these melodious songs were only played in the morning. 
I looked up birds that sing at night, and the most popular one I came up with was the northern mockingbird-definitely found around here, being our state bird. 

These nighttime tunes reminded me of a Bible study I once did, and a verse that was brought to my attention in it:

"Where is God my Maker, who gives songs in the night,"- Job 35:10

In context, it is said by one of Job's friends who is talking to him after losing almost everything he had, including his children. 

It also reminded me of another verse:
Zephaniah 3:17
The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”


In the night- the darkest moments of our lives, God is there to sing over us. The loneliest and hardest times are those that come in the middle of the night. All is still, but when we raise the windows of our hearts and  listen, we can know that God is with us, He is mighty to save, and He gives His songs of comfort. 
If you find yourself literally in the middle of the night- or if you are in a season of "night," I pray these verses for you- and that God will not only sing over you but He will give you a song to sing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment