Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Rescued and Recovered from the Rubble

Tonight I found myself once again wondering how I would have responded as a teacher. Another tragedy involving a school. I couldn't sleep, and turned on the TV to see that at this point, there were now 91 deaths due to the tornado in Oklahoma. Many were children, and the media was saying that the search had gone from rescue to recovery. As I took in those words, my heart ached for those mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers who were wondering if they would hear the confirmation that their loved one had not survived. As I type, I'm sure they are also awake, with a shred of hope that better news will come.

I thought about those searching, longing to hear a cry, see movement, or feel a hand reaching for their own. I pray as our side of the Earth turns it's face to the sun in the morning, the news will report of at least one of these miracles having taken place while we slept.

Rescued from the rubble. A miracle among the mess.

Much like the first two little pigs, chances are that something in the form of a big bad wolf will blow our house down. Jesus tells us this Himself when He says, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

Our world falls apart, and we find ourselves trapped under the debris of what is left of it. Sometimes it is due to our own decisions.....other times it is a part of the pain that for whatever reason, is filtered through the Sovereign hands of God. We cannot begin to understand that, nor why God allowed this or other devastations to happen. Yet, it all results in rubble, either physical, emotional, mental or spiritual. But, it is more than that. It is a means by which He gives us an opportunity to be rescued. Either way, miracles are able to be performed.
If the authorities are able to find some still alive, after such a horrific storm- that is a miracle. 
If one, somehow, over time is drawn to the arms of the Great Rescuer, allowing Him to hold them, amid the loss and devastation as these have experienced in the last few hours- that is a miracle. 
If they are brought to the feet of the One who sought them in their own rubble, and are able to worship in the pain-that is a miracle.

Rescue. Restore. Redeem. Revive. Retrieve. Recreate. Reform. Return. Recover. All miracles amid the rubble. 

Comfort. Peace. Grace. Hope. Faithfulness. Mercy. Strength. Sustained. All given by the Rescuer.

Praying for all. Praying for miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment