Saturday, March 3, 2012

Have I been in the Son?

So, I've been tanning. I know......I can hear my mama fussing at me now. My reason: so I don't get cooked in Haiti! So, I'm trying to get a little color- (Hey, one of my kids at school did say I looked like Jennifer Hudson!)
But today, after getting back from "tanning" and while on my hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen floor- (I get inspiration in odd places!), I was thinking about this tanning thing.
If you didn't know, you might think I had been to the beach. I wish! Ok, well I'm not that tan yet, but just go with the illustration......
It looks like I've been in the sun, a little, at least. But, it's "fake" tan. No, not the orange kind. That kind of fake is easy to spot. Been there, done that too!
But, it's just enough to seem real.
It got me to thinking about my life and attitudes. Maybe there are times that it would appear I have been in the SON. Maybe it appears I have it together......but inside I know that I really haven't been- I've just been "pretending" like I have. I'll just pretend that during that quick 15 minutes in a tanning bed that I'm really in a lounge chair, soaking up the rays on a beach somewhere. But, I know better.

How many times is this so true in my spiritual life? I just pretend that that quick glance at a little devotion automatically makes me walk in step with the Spirit, but I don't take the time to meditate on it or let it change me. Or that sentence prayer that I manage to throw up to the Lord as I fall asleep- not quite the "effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man." Even more so, when I go through my day, knowing that I claim to be a Christian yet say things or think things that do not bear witness of that fact at that moment. What about on the way to church, walking out the door yelling at my kids and walking in the door of the Lord's house with a painted smile on my face? How often is this also true of our marriages or friendships? Is it a fake? Maybe I've not really been with the SON like I know I should have.
Oh, I pray I would remember this every time I see the sunshine! I want to be real! I pray I find myself spending more time in His light rather than trying to do it own my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment