Friday, March 23, 2012

Deeper Waters


I have never seen anything as beautiful as this. Well, Glacier National Park in Montana is close!
I never thought that I would EVER see the Caribbean! I guess it's one of those things, that unless you've been there, you can't put into words. I'm sure many have seen waters like that- but it was my first time. I've only been to the beach twice (ok, three times, but I didn't really count Fort Walton Beach, when it was raining and seaweed everywhere!) I guess that does count though.
Daytona Beach was amazing last summer when we went to Student Life Camp, and I thought Orange Beach with the family was great- but this does not compare.
Water like you could not imagine.
Blues that are not in your 8 count Crayola box. As I was walking along the beach, just taking it all in, I thought about the different blues I was seeing. I was told that the colors differ according to the depth of the water, and the reefs that are there. As I thought about that, I thought about the depths of water I've been in at times.
I have to go back to Baby Pruitt with this analogy, but apply it where it relates to you.
Just after my 30th birthday, I would have NEVER imagined that I would be burying a child a few months later. Those were waters I'd only heard about, but never dreamed my feet would touch. Yes, I'd seen a few other "rough waters" but nothing like this.
As I stood on the shore sorrow, the waves of grace pulled me in. At first, just on the edge of the clear waters where I could still see my feet. I could have turned and ran back to the sands of comfort and familiarity, but tides of mercy and sovereignty were stronger, and they swept me out. There was no stopping its force. It was going to happen.
As I was carried out to sea, those on the shore could see that where I was going, the water was darker.
. . . . . . . .

Yet, as I thought of this while standing on the shore of the Caribbean last week, I thought about times such as this when we are taken to deeper waters. Many times, it is not by choice that
we are carried out. It is there that we can sink into His grace or we can fight it. I've done both.
As the water deepens, the color changes. As we go deeper in our walk with the Lord, our "color" changes to those around us. They can see a difference.
That has certainly not always been the case in my circumstance. There have been moments on this journey that I have gone into the deeper waters, and see a part of God I would have never seen before. I was there, in the depths, not just observing from afar.
At other times, I've stayed in the shallow, and been shallow myself- refusing to see what
gifts He had for me. You have to look to find them.

Even not so far out into the water are these gifts. As I was wading out, I looked down and saw what looked like a star. Sure enough, it was a starfish! Sitting on the shore, a urchin washed up. Yes, His grace is there at every turn. Yet, in the dark depths we see much of His glory that can ONLY be seen when we are there.



















No comments:

Post a Comment