Monday, March 14, 2011

Little Red Riding Hood (spoiler warning!)

I love movies. I love movies that keep you guessing until the end! This was one of those. However, my first guess of who the "BIG BAD WOLF" was ended up being correct! The writers did a good job of making you think it could have been any one of the main characters, even Granny.
After I pegged the dad to be the the wolf, the twists and turns kept bringing doubt. Maybe it was Peter, the handsome lover of Valerie. That would have been more true to life, spiritually. Satan, who seems lovely to the eye and disguises himself as an angel of light, does use his charm to try to woo us.
Or, at times it seemed to be Henry, the one Valerie had been arranged to marry.
But, in the end, it was her father. The evil one was among them the whole time, yet no one in the village suspected it. He sought revenge on his community because he felt betrayed by his wife, who's heart really belonged to another. Valerie's father wanted not to take her life, but in essence, to take her soul, making her like him. If she'd let him bite her, then she too could become like him. In the end, Peter came to her rescue, but not without consequence. He was bitten, and left her until he could learn to control the power within him.
As I was watching, I was reminded of a Ted Dekker book, Emmanuel's Veins. It's similar, but with much more of a spiritual application, only using vampires instead of werewolves.
Even so, I was reminded of the evil one that lurks around us. Sometimes he does come in the form of something that seems so beautiful and harmless. At other times, I think he is around us and we don't even realize it. Even though he cannot touch our souls, I know he is busy doing whatever he can to attack us, to distract us, to keep us from doing the opposite of what God would have us do. As Beth Moore said in a previous study, we can't choose to be in the war but we can choose if we're going to be a warrior or not.
So put on your red cloak, carrying the blood of the Lamb that now runs through our veins. You will walk thru the deep, dark woods; you will climb steep mountains. In the end, we will overcome by the blood of the Lamb. (Rev. 12:11)

"When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall." Psalms 27:2

No comments:

Post a Comment