Saturday, September 24, 2016

Run Hard

Evidently I've been busy. While writing is close to my heart, I guess other things have been closer the past few months. But, it's that season again. A season that inspires me. The season of cross country. For the life of me, I don't know why these kids (or anyone) would want to run for fun. I keep thinking I'm gonna try it one day, but I learned back at the beginning of the summer that you have to start small and work your way up to this running thing. I tried running up a hill to catch a picture of a sunset and thought I might have a heart attack. So, my running record is a poor one!

Today, we were at another meet with Peyton. I love seeing the new spectators, and watch them learn how this whole sport works. I am still learning too. But most of all, I love the unity of the team, and the lessons I learn watching my son, and others, run.
During his race, I had "ran" my way back towards the finish line. (By ran, I mean, my jog turned into a brisk walk, which then, just changed into a slow one as we checked the time, and realized we still had about two minutes to get to the finish to watch the runners come through.) As I cheered on our team, I overheard someone yelling to another runner, "Run hard; he's coming." 

"Write that one down," I said.

While I didn't have pen and paper, or even my phone to take notes on, I thought about the truth in those four words.

Run hard. He's coming. 
As I thought about Scripture, and later looked them up, I came upon this one. 
"...let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1
I thought about the sin that we face daily in this race that we are struggling through. Satan is coming after us. I see it everyday. In my life, my kids lives, my marriage. We see it in families destroyed by addictions, abuse, affairs. We see it through division, diversion and distractions. I saw this in the life of one in recent months, who had overcome so many struggles by the grace of God and was sharing that with others, yet the evil remained close, and he lost the battle.  Satan is coming after us. As I heard those words today, I pictured the image of the enemy chasing that boy, as he was so close to the finish line. Our kids are being bombarded with temptations that are at their fingertips. The culture they are growing up in is so far from the Word of God. They are being lied to, and the Truth seems to be a thing of the past. And the enemy is right on their heels, hoping they will trip up and fall. Because the enemy knows his time is limited, and we are trying to "run hard."

Because HE is coming! Yes! Satan knows his time is drawing shorter and shorter. So of course he would be busy.

We must run hard!! He's coming! Run with endurance. Don't give up.   
"....looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2

"holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain." Phil. 2:15b

He is the founder of our faith and He will perfect it when we finally finish our race. 
When these kids run, they know the finish line is up ahead. They can't see it yet, but they know it's there. When they cross it, then what they hoped and waited to get to, will be there. Their faith will be made sight. Of course, all don't finish at the same time; each one runs the "race marked out for" them. 

Yes, the enemy is coming. He's a roaring lion seeking us to destroy us. (1 Peter 5:8) Yet he disguises himself as an angel of light. (2 Cor. 11:14) He's on our heels, attacking where he can. 
But we as believers must "Run Hard." We must hold on tightly to the Word of Truth, teaching it to our children, and sharing it with others. So many need to hear that Truth. And know that He, the King of Kings, is coming for us, either when our earthly race is won, or when He returns. He will give us the strength until that day.
So run hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment