Saturday, May 10, 2014

Still itching...........

After a week of itching and self-medicating, I decided to go to the doctor today, on my Saturday, to get a shot. The rash had continued to spread, and I was ready to be over it!
As I sat in the waiting room, (for almost 3 hours), I caught on to some of the conversation going on. People who may or may not have known each other discussed ailments- child with cough, me with poison ivy, teen with an earache, teen with ongoing headache, baby with eye allergies, elderly with congestive heart failure. I saw people I knew and some I didn't. The different sickness' weren't a respecter of persons. All ages were represented.

It seems that we were all in there for similar reasons, though. Of course we were; we were at a doctor's office and we were all sick in some way. Some did not look sick or sound sick. With some, (like me with my rash) it was obvious.

Others, like me, decided it was necessary to do something about their problem. I had tried long enough to treat it myself.

It occurred to me that often in waiting rooms you might hear people talking about their sickness. Sometimes, it's more than we care to know. Still, it is not odd at all to overhear.

But when it comes to our "sin-sickness," we clam up. We don't want anyone knowing what's wrong with us. What would they think? Would they move seats in the "waiting room" of our life if they knew? 
We all find ourselves in those waiting rooms of life. People we know, and people we don't know all have something in common: sin sickness.

One lady I overheard talking about the congestive heart failure said, "I hate that disease."

I hate the sin disease too. It wreaks havoc on us. There's a CONSTANT struggle. Because of this disease, there is sickness, hurt, loss, pain, and consequences that are life altering.

When it's an "itch" we face, we try to treat it ourselves, coating it with a "topical ointment," when really we need a shot of the strong medicine to cure it.

For our sin-sickness, there is only one cure: Jesus Christ, and the grace He offers.

As I walked out the door after spending 3 hours and $146, I felt it had been a little costly to my Saturday, in more ways than one! I LOVE my Saturdays! I had to pay the money and time on my off day to get this treated.

As I reflected on that, I was reminded that it was also very costly for Jesus- more than 3 hours and $146. It cost Him His life, in order for us to receive His salvation and free gift of grace. 
He is the true Healer! 

I'm sure I will find it worth the cost and wait, when this poison ivy is cleared up much faster after having the shot, rather than trying to do it on my own.

Just the same, Jesus found us worth dying for in order for our sin-sickness to be healed!

No comments:

Post a Comment