Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Scars

Have you ever noticed a scar on someone and you wanted to ask them what happened? How did they get it? Why is it that scars evoke our curiosity? Many scars are obvious. Others are covered, never to be revealed by onlookers. I dare say that most all of us have scars. My guess would be, even those super models and GQ guys harbor scars somewhere on their bodies. 
I spotted a scar on my thumb the other day, and couldn't quite recall how I got it. But just next door to it, on my pointer finger, I clearly remember getting that one. I was at my Granny's house, pushing a wooden swing with no one it it. The swing came back and hit my hand, scraping the skin away. Three more scars, from three different occasions, caused by my poor abilities of crossing barbed-wire fences as a child. A larger scar across my abdomen at the birth of each of my three children.  
Some you would have to look closely to find, or at least be really observant about it. I have a chicken pox scar on my lower left eyelid, where no lashes grow. I remember how I gained most of my scars.

With the scars of others, we probably would not ask how they received it. It might be much too personal of a question to ask. Some scars run deep. I've learned: the deeper the wound, the more visible the scar. Another thing I've learned: not all hurts leave a great scar, but if there is a scar, you know there was a great wound.

This is what Wikipedia told me about scars:

"Scars are areas of fibrous tissue that replace normal skin after injury. A scar results from the biological process of wound repair in the skin and other tissues of the body. Thus, scarring is a natural part of the healing process. With the exception of very minor lesions, every wound (accident, disease, or surgery), results in some degree of scarring."- Wikipedia

"Scarring is a natural part of the healing process."
Interesting.
It is only natural for a wound to heal. Skin doesn't stay gaped open, blood doesn't continue to pour out. The sign of a scar is a sign of healing.

I also learned from Wiki that scar tissue has collagen, just like the same tissue it is trying to replace. The only difference, is when it "re-forms," it does so in a different pattern, therefore leaving what we know as scars. 
When we've been impacted by a wound, by definition, a scar results as a sign of that injury, that hurt, that pain or disease that was removed from our bodies. It represents that, yes, I was hurt, and now a part of me looks different because of it.

When I look at the scars on my own body, the ones I remember most are the ones that were significant. 
When I think about the metaphorical scars in my life, a few stand out more than others. And those few have caused my life to "look" different than it did before the wound. 

Day by day, those you come into to contact with also bear scars. Some of those are evident, others are not. When you encounter them, remember your own scars, your pains, your wounds. You never know when someone you meet might have received their mark in the same manner that you did. 

I'm reminded of Jesus' scars, as He spoke to His disciples after His resurrection: 
Luke 24: 40-

"As he spoke, he held out his hands for them to see the marks of the nails, and showed them the wounds in his feet."

We know that because of His scars, we can find healing. 
"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

Physically, our scars are a sign of healing that takes place in our bodies.
Spiritually, we can be covered with scars and never fully healed. If you have a deep scar, let His wounds heal you. His scars represent the hope that you have of being restored, and when He does, you will look different than you did before. 

And others will see the Healer in your life, not the scar.

No comments:

Post a Comment