Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas in a Box

Here it is. All packed up and ready for the attic for at least another 10-11 months. 

Well, except for the Tennessee room tree. I may let Jason handle that one. 
Our decorations have been up since the first of November. So I decided to tackle the majority of it while I was feeling a little better and out of school. Why is it always more fun setting up the tree than taking it down? Kind of like unpacking from vacation.

I cleared the greenery, lights and angels off of the piano, readying the space for what would go back in its place. Ornaments came off the tree, and were placed back in the boxes. Angels, wise men, and baby Jesus were wrapped carefully in tissue paper. Finally, lights were un-strung and artificial evergreen limbs were removed from their holders only to be placed back in its cardboard casket until next November.
And this is what you and I do. 
Put Christmas back in a box.

For maybe two months at the most, we decorate, we carol, we celebrate, we eat, we buy, we wrap, we give. And then it's over. On to making New Year's Resolutions, only to be broken within three weeks, and thats if we are really dedicated. 
Just like the Santa's and snowmen, but most importantly, Baby Jesus, we've put it all away in the attic, forgetting what we were celebrating just weeks before. 
I am guilty. 
Am I alone?

I discussed (almost argued) with someone a few weeks before Christmas about gifts. Their defense was that "Christmas isn't about gifts. We've gotten away from what the true meaning of Christmas is all about." I wanted to say, "And what is the true meaning of Christmas, because I sure don't see you living it."
Whoa. (And who just put Christmas in a box?) 
Yeah, that would be me.

I dare say that once Christmas is over, we tend to forget about that gift, and what the true meaning is. In December we said, 
"Jesus is the reason for the season." 
But isn't He the reason for EVERY season? YES!
Christmas is about gifts, because we celebrate the Ultimate Gift! 


 Now that my tree is down, and the decorations are gone, the room looks kind of empty. That is just how we feel when we put Jesus in a box in the attic of our hearts. Empty. 
We enjoy Him for a season, but soon remove Him and replace Him with things we like better. However, instead of leaving it empty, the pictures and Willow tree angels take their rightful place back on the piano. Just like all the things that fill the empty places of our lives. 
Jesus doesn't want to be put in a box. Christmas doesn't have to be put in a box either.
We can choose to celebrate year round. For without Him, and the gift that He brought to us in Himself, we will be left empty.

I've kept out a couple of small Nativity scenes. One is a candle holder; one just Joseph, Mary and Jesus. I also have kept out a cross ornament that says Hope.
I do not want Christmas in a box in my attic. I want it everyday. 
And guess what? 
In Christ, I can have it that way.

"For to us a child is born, unto us a son is given,
    and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called
    Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
Isaiah 9:6

He can be all that in our lives everyday,
if we don't put Him in a box.
I guess it all goes back to that whole "walking in Truth" thing, huh?



No comments:

Post a Comment