Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Can't Jesus Fix That?

It is hard to find the time during the day as a teacher to make notes of "things kids say," but today I did. One of my students said "I'm starving!" as we were getting ready to have snack. Well, as my own personal children know, when you say that to me, a Haiti speech is coming. And so it did. I began to tell them of some of the conditions in the area we were in when we went; that there are no chicken nuggets or pizza or candy, and how fortunate the children are there, if they get one meal of rice and beans a day.
 I then compared it to the amount of food that we have access to each day. (I am well aware that we do have students in our own classes right here in Corinth that may not eat some nights.) 

Not to belittle those situations at all, but at least we do know our students have breakfast, lunch and a snack at school. Anyway, as I continued to talk about the poverty there, as it applied to food, the sweetest little hand went up, and these were the words out of his mouth: "Can't Jesus fix that?

"Yes, baby, He can" was my reply with a hug.

I immediately went to my desk, jotted the quote down, and didn't dwell on it too long for fear of the tears that may accompany my thoughts.
Now, my eyes become wet as I think of situations that are heavy on my heart tonight-people that are hurting; friends that are praying for healing; those whose addictions have them in chains, some who do not even know that they are bound; little girls without a father in their home, little boys trying to be the "father" for their home; a heart that still mourns the empty cradle; a spouse who will sleep alone for the first time or the fiftieth time because the love of their life is gone; a body that is exhausted from the fight; yes, the Haitian and Dominican people that I have come to love who settle in their homes as dusk falls, and darkness follows until dawn because they have no electricity.

All these and so many more- Yes, Jesus can fix that.

  In every situation we can imagine, He can fix it. He can heal. He can provide. He can break those chains.      He can renew strength. He can be a Father to the   fatherless. He can comfort. He can restore and redeem that which was lost. 

We have to be willing to let Him. And sometimes, He will use us to be in on His "fixing" process.

As you lay your head down tonight, reflect on your life. What is in it that is troubling you? Hear Ethan's question that he asked me. 
"Can't Jesus fix that?"

"Yes, baby, He can."

Isaiah 61:1-3

“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me, Because the Lord has anointed Me To preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives, And the opening of the prison to those who are bound; To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, And the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn, To console those who mourn in Zion, To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; That they may be called trees of righteousness, The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.”







1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written! You don't know me at all. I just saw this on Facebook because a friend of mine (Beth Mitchell) reposted it.... I'm so encouraged that my son and children will grow up in a school with teachers motivated and moved by Christ. Thanks for sharing! You blessed my heart this morning with your words!

    ReplyDelete