Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Blue-Ticked Off- Part 2

As I saw these things in our beloved pet, I saw more things in myself that I really didn't want to see. 

Over and over again, I find myself getting agitated over having to CONSTANTLY  reprimand him for things- usually the SAME things over and over again. Jumping up on the counter, getting on "my" couch, biting on chairs, pulling socks out of the laundry basket, taking our shoes to his corner to chew on, licking me, jumping up on me. "Stop!" or "Quit!" is probably one word he hears most often.

It's the same at school most days. I find myself saying all the time now, "We've been in school ___ days. You should know by now to get your spoon when you go through the line. You should know by now how to walk in a straight line. You did this everyday in kindergarten; we've done this for 146 days now in first grade; you should know how to act. I should not have to keep telling you this."
As soon as I say those words, (every time I say them), I always hear the Lord saying to me: "Jennifer, I've been trying to teach you these things for 38 years; you've been walking with me for 16 of them; you should know this by now." Yet, over and over again, I find myself thinking those same thoughts, doing those same things, practicing those same bad habits. Just as my kids, just like Major, you think I would have learned to obey by now.

Another thing I've noticed about Major, the same dog who loves water so much, also loves the garbage. He's figured out where our trash can is and that sometimes we throw scraps in it. Of course, not only scraps but tons of other stuff that serves no purpose really and needs to be thrown out. If we let him, he would pull everything he could out of the trash, and eat most of it. He also has found our little trash can that sits by the computer desk. Usually it just has paper or plastics in it- but it's still garbage. On several occasions, he has even taken the can to his corner, and just chewed on it, thinking that would be comfort enough, if he can't have the "real" trashcan. 

How am I like this? Well, it seems pretty obvious. A verse comes to mind that talks about blessing and cursing coming from the same lips. Sometimes I find myself digging in the trash of what I've already thrown away- a grudge, a jealousy, a past sin that I know God has forgiven. Chewing on the "can" of thoughts, just enough to satisfy me for the time-being.

Obey. Water. Satisfy.

I will only be satisfied when I stop digging in the trash and learn that it is the Living Water that I must thirst for.

No comments:

Post a Comment